Tuesday, September 1, 2015

How to Clean Silver and Gold Jewelry With Baking Soda and Aluminum Tin Foil at Home ~ Fall Cleaning ~ Spruce Up Your Earrings !

 
Welcome to Kirsten Earrings USA !
 
Since about 1998
my hands have created a lot of earrings.
 
In any case, the situation at hand NOW,
is
that sterling silver and other metals tarnish.
What to do ?

Clean your jewelry !  *

 
You will need:
 
1)  A DISPOSABLE PAN ~ AN ALUMINUM TIN PIE PLATE
2) FRESH BAKING SODA ~ CHEAP IS AS GOOD AS FANCY
3) ALUMINUM FOIL ~ I HAD REYNOLD'S WRAP ON HAND
4) A SIEVE OR A CHEESE CLOTH
4.5) TOOTHPICKS OR WOOD SHISH KABOB SKEWER
5) BOILING WATER
6) THICK OLD TOWEL FOR BLOTTING AFTERWARDS
 
This is actually kind of a fun chemistry experiment for teachers too.  
There is a chemical reaction involved, so it is fun for the kids to see.
 
See Below : 
Some Estate Sale "silver and gold" I used as test subjects :
Put them in the pan.  Put in a generous amount of baking soda.
Rip strips or pieces of aluminum foil and wad up ~ for multiple surface exposure to the jewelry and soda.   Boil the water.
 
 
 
Cheap estate sale test subjects... before I started ...
 
 
Quality Aluminum Foil !
 
 Ewwww !
 
 
Always Save Baking Soda ~ Pure ~ Natural ~ For Baking ~ Cleaning and Deodorizing !
 
 
Here I have added a generous amount of soda to the old jewelry.
 
 
The kettle is bubbling !  The water is boiling !
 
 
Pour the boiling water over the jewelry, tin foil, and soda.
 
 
Use some clean wooden sticks as stirrers ~ moving the jewelry around so that all surfaces have a chance to come in contact with the tin foil ~ the oxidized tarnished portion of the jewelry will leave the jewelry and adhese to the foil ~ that is why the foil will turn dark, and the jewelry will begin to get sparkly and fresh again !
 
 
Continue to stir around....
Here in this case, the heart never did clean up ~ it appears to be of pewter or something ?  
BUT.... the other chain became LOVELY ! 
I gave it to my niece !
 
 
 
So, now I knew that it worked ... I gathered some of my own personal
creations that I wear.  Some of these ~ especially the old sterling silver, have become quite dark.    Ready to go !
 
 
Oh, one thing... I found out that the wood does not do as well.   I would separate your wood things and do them separately.
 
 
 
In it all goes !
 
 
 
The clean sieve is ready in the other sink !
 
 
The kettle is boiling !
 
 
In goes the baking soda and the boiling water is poured over !
 
There will be a maloderous smell of rotton eggs ~ sulpher ~ this
is part of the chemical reaction.
It smell like cleaning jewelry !
 
 
 
All is agitated for a few minutes. 
 
 
 
More boiling water pour over the lot,
and then the bunch of earrings is gently tossed into the sieve
 
 
More boiling water poured over to wash off any soda residue.
 
 
 
Lovely clean  silver ~ sparkling like new results ~!
 
 
 The wood items are rinsed separately .
 
 
 
How cathartic !
 
 
 
Here they are drying on the towel.
 
Mission accomplished !
 
 
~*~*~*~
 
Have a great day !
 
 
 
Little know tidbit : 
 
I was crocheting for a little while ~ I do enjoy that too.
I had a great Aunt Sena who crocheted a great deal.
 
Some of my earrings are very unique.
Some earrings have been a wee bit odd.
Some people have said I'm an artist.
One person said I am a jeweler.
One sweet elderly lady
told me that serendipity sat on my shoulders !
THAT, was a great compliment !
 
 
I hope you enjoy this little free tip from Mom K
 
 
 
Keep on the Sunny Side, Always on the Sunny Side ....
Keep on the Sunny Side of Life !
 
 
* Note, I am not a jeweler nor a metallurgist or chemist.
This posting in no way assures that all will go well with your
jewelry if you clean it at home as I have.  If you have doubts,
of course take your items to a bona fide jewelry store and ask them
what you should do.

No comments:

Kirsten Tannenbaum Earrings by Mom's Fan Box

Popular Posts

Blog Archive

Pages