Thursday, September 6, 2012

A Life Well Lived with Strength and Spirit

When
I was younger

My mother
opened my
eyes
to many
artists.

For a
girl
from the
SandHills 
of
Nebraska
she
really had a
global view
on
many things. 
This
postcard
I found
reminds me of
her:


 This was the country where she was raised.

She introduced me to many things.
Mari Sandoz
~ a writer she appreciated
who reflected the strong spirit of the
immigrants who settled in this
beautiful, yet austere land ... 
My mother was a great reader and enjoyed her small town's library to the fullest,
as well as benefiting from her own
mother's lust for literature
a la Reader's Digest
Condensed Books ~
 far before Nancy Pearl was able to
give her suggestions via NPR.
 

I enjoyed my mother's twinkly eyed
views of
 Van Gogh
and
Breugel  ...
her amazement
at tiny dots
of
Seurat ...
and
Edward Munch
the painter
of the
The Scream

which I now recognize as
the style
of
German Expressionism
~  mouth wide  ~open Oh MY ! ~
~*~*~*~*~

 
If
Woody Guthrie
and
Bob Dylan
were catching
the songs and plight of the people,
Munch
was capturing the Soul.

This painting is well known across
Scandinavia
and Europe ~
and now, all over the globe .

My father also has a keen eye for Art ~
He saw the simplicity and purity early on
in the
Mid Century Modern
 modernist styles of furniture,
home furnishings, pottery, and cutlerly and so much more !
  
I remember a couple of Ruscha fish plates
we always had in our lavatory walls ~  
I wish I had them now !

Back to German Expressionism . 
I've only recently heard of it, via
the sale of The Scream.  
I studied French Existentialism .
Sartre, Camus, etc.
The two loop arms I feel in a way ~ don't you think?

 
You all know that my
main focus
and
speciality is earrings.
Occasionally I have some other interestings things.
Stop back by often to enjoy what I find for you !

http://stores.ebay.com/Kirsten-Tannenbaum-Earrings-by-Mom

Always making more earrings, Mom K
 
I suggust reading early and often to your little ones! 
All the major works of
 
 
The Little Mermaid in Copenhagen Denmark
 
Hans Christian Andersen
who wrote down the stories that his superstitious illiterate mother ~
(not uncommon for the people of the time) ~  
told him ~ so that we might enjoy them today !
 
 
The Grimm's Fairy Tales
~ The Brother's Grimm gathered
the stories of Europe and compiled them for our
enjoyment ~ however old and odd they are,
they are treasures of literary culture,
many times reflected in other lands, or
quite possibly handed down from other countries
before in oral tradition !
 
My French / German favorites are
Ludwig Bemelmans
who may have been a baker and carouser, later settling into writing the stories
of Madeleine 
and 12 little girls in two straight lines ....
 
Laurent de Brunhoff
who reflected African colonialization in
The Adventures of Babar ~ rather absurdist literature, I feel, but fun for children!
 
And of course, from the German ...
Every child's favorite , the adventurous
Curious George ~
whose author Hans Augusto Rey
had his beginnings
as a bathtub salesman in South America, 
marrying
Margaret Elisabeth Waldstein
and escaping the Nazi occupation of Paris
on bicycles with the
originals drawing to the book on their backs !
See the background story here :
 
 
I'm digressing ...
I honor my mother ( and father )  for
raising me with an open mind to many things.
 
Some of my mother's other passions were
Voting
 
Planned Parenthood
 
and of course, her local library,
whereever we lived in the 20+ moves we made
while my father worked for the US Army.
 
 

Take a magic carpet ride to another place ~

Read a Book ! 
 

 

" Stay on the Sunny Side, Always on the Sunny Side, Stay on the Sunny Side of Life "
~Ada Blenkhorn
 
 

No comments:

Kirsten Tannenbaum Earrings by Mom's Fan Box

Popular Posts

Blog Archive

Pages